I have been diagnosed with Klebsiella.

I have been diagnosed with Klebsiella Pneumoniae after my urine was sent for a urine culture test after complaining of symptoms of UTI/cystitis for one month after antibiotics had not worked. I have tried wikipedia but I still don't understand. Please can you explain in non medical terms what is is and how I treat it. I am living in Cambodia so as much detail of treatments and names of antibiotics etc is essential if possible. Many thanks in advance for your help.

4 December 2013

This bug (Klebsiella) is one of the common bacteria to cause urine infections. It is more common in people who suffer from lots of urine infections (often older women). It can also occur in people who have an underlying problem, such as a poor immune system, diabetes, a catheter or an underlying problem with the bladder/urine tract.

The treatment is with antibiotics. The urine test report should state which antibiotic is the correct one to use in your particular case. Your doctor will be able to explain this result to you and prescribe the correct antibiotic. This bug can be resistant to some antibiotics (such as ampicillin) so they won't work.

It is important to make sure you take the correct one. It would be very sensible to discuss the possible underlying cause of this infection with your doctor, to make sure there is nothing further to be done.

Answered by Dr Emmajane Down.


You may also be interested in...

Urinary tract infection

Bladder infection

Eating for good health

Got a health question?

We’re here to help you take care of your health - whenever you need us, wherever you are, whether you're an AXA PPP healthcare member or not.

Our Ask the Expert service allows you to ask our team of friendly and experienced nurses, midwives, counsellors and pharmacists about any health topic.