I believe I have low testosterone levels

I believe I have symptoms of low testosterone levels (low libido, lack of concentration, exertion). When spoken to my GP he prescribed me antidepressants. I don't feel depressed and would like to have my testosterone tested - can I request it from the NHS GP or private GP?

10 April 2014

You can request a testosterone level check from your GP, this would be a blood test taken between 07:00 and 10:00 in the morning.

This level varies throughout the day and may need to be checked a few times. If your GP does not want to do this test you can see a private GP for the blood  test, consultation cost will not include the costing of the blood tests, so I suggest you enquire of the charges involved in this before the test is taken.

Answered by Health at Hand nurses.


You may also be interested in...

Loss of libido

Beat everyday stress

Got a health question?

We’re here to help you take care of your health - whenever you need us, wherever you are, whether you're an AXA PPP healthcare member or not.

Our Ask the Expert service allows you to ask our team of friendly and experienced nurses, midwives, counsellors and pharmacists about any health topic.