Summer’s here and you’re counting the days to that long-awaited break. You want to relax, have fun – and, above all, stay well.
Here are some top tips from our nutrition and fitness experts to help you and your family enjoy a healthy, happy summer.
We all know that prevention is better than cure, and a bit of forward planning and a few basic precautions can reduce the risk of your holiday being spoilt by food poisoning, sunburn or worse.
Whether you’re travelling abroad or staying at home this summer, keep these simple but effective tips on hand as a reminder to take extra care in the sun.
- If you’re holidaying abroad, make sure you know what jabs you need and organise these in plenty of time before you leave.
- When in an unfamiliar country, be cautious about tap water – buy bottled water, don’t have ice in drinks, and avoid salads and other foods washed in tap water.
- It’s vital to protect your skin in the sun – wear loose clothing, a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses. Apply plenty of sunscreen 15-30 minutes before going out in the sun, and reapply every two hours or after a swim.
- Apply insect repellent over your sunscreen to reduce the risk of bites.
- To avoid becoming dehydrated, limit your intake of alcohol, coffee and salty foods, and drink plenty of water.
- The sun’s heat is at its strongest between 11am and 3pm – seek shade or stay indoors during these times.