Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Craig asked...

Testicular pain

My friend recently went to the the hospital with a testical problem he had a pain in in testical so he went to the hospital when he returned he was telling me about a thing called testical torsion this was the first time I was to hear about it and how he said it can happen to anyone. I have been researching the topic and it has been really scaring me because it could happen to me. I am currently very scared to sleep because it can happen to anyone and I would like some advice from you. Thank you

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Torsion of the testis is a well- known urological condition that can affect men of any age and is successfully treated by surgically, it is most common after birth and during puberty. 65% of cases affect those between 12-18 years of age.

The most common cause is a congenital malformation known as “bell –clapper deformity” where the testis is inadequately affixed to the scrotum, allowing the testis to move freely and therefor twist causing the extreme pain. If no one else in your family has experienced this then your risk will be markedly lower. The primary thing to remember is if you experience sudden onset of severe testicular pain you get urgent medical attention, so ideally going to your nearest A&E.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter