Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Anon. asked...

Spine lumbar MRI scan

I had an MRI scan on my spine lumbar and sacral in 2011. The conclusion was that I had a disc bulge at L5/S1. I spent hundreds of pounds privately with an osteopath. At the moment I am in severe pain with the left side of my lower back. I need your advice please.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

While osteopathy can be helpful in treating back problems more often it is useful when working alongside other conventional medicine. If you are not already it would seem prudent to perhaps see your GP regarding your ongoing problem and lack of pain relief, they should be able to guide you with an appropriate treatment plan for the pain.

It might also be worth having a discussion in regard to seeing an orthopaedic specialist, there are numerous interventions that a specialist can provide including joint injections if appropriate and they will also be able to perform a thorough assessment of your back injury and their recommendations for best treatment in your case.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter