Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Richard asked...

I have a very sore achilles tendon on the right side. I have been going running regularly as I am training for a half marathon at the end of Feb. I went for a run (5 miles) on 15th Jan and by the end it was a bit sore. I rested it and have gone out today for the first time and after about 1.5 miles it was very sore and I had to stop. do I need to see a specialist and/or what action should I take? Thank you. Richard

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP ASAP?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, is available on a pay-as-you-go basis with prices starting at just £60 per consultation*.

    Quote AXA20 to receive a 20% discount. (* Prices subject to change.)

The Answer

We would suggest that you see a specialist e.g physiotherapist to assess the injury and in the meantime apply the RICE acronym (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevations) as well as taking anti-inflammatories to reduce any inflammation.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses  

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly better health newsletter to receive updates on our latest health and wellbeing articles.

Sign up to newsletter