Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

lyndsey asked...

Slipped disc

I've got a slipped disc at L3 and nothing is helping to relieve the pain and discomfort and it's affectingt he way I walk. What else can I do?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

This level of debilitation in your spine may require its management at the specialist level. If you are a candidate for referral onto a specialist, because your pain relieving medication is not relieving your pain successfully; then some of the following surgical options may be offered to you by a neurological or orthopaedic surgeon:

Discectomy, microdiscectomy, laminectomy, laminotomy, foraminotomy, disc replacement or spinal fusion.

You would need to discuss the benefits and risks of each of these procedures.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses  

You may also be interested in...

Back pain

Lumbar decompressive surgery

Prolapsed disc

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter