Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Leila asked...

Me and my partner have been trying for a baby.

Tags: Pregnancy

Me and my partner have been trying for a baby for just over 2 years now. He has had his sperm tested and the results were fine and I have had 21 day blood tests twice which came back fine. Whats our next step? We are both 33 and healthy.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

As you have been trying for 2 years (presuming that you have been having sex regularly every 2-3 days) it is probably time to see a specialist fertility doctor.

It is very good news that the initial sperm and ovulation tests have come back normal. You may even find yourself pregnant while you are waiting for your appointment. Your GP can refer you (either on the NHS or privately) to the hospital of your choice. You will be investigated to see if there is a reason for the infertility. Sometimes a reason is found, such as blocked fallopian tubes. Sometimes no cause is discovered. There are many different reasons for a delay in conception but luckily fertility treatments have become very successful in helping many couples have a baby.

Make sure your weight is normal, because being under or overweight can affect fertility and also make pregnancy higher risk. Stress and anxiety can contribute in preventing your body from getting pregnant, so try (if you can) to stay calm about the situation. Good luck.

Answered by Dr Emmajane Down.


You may also be interested in...

Shaping up for pregnancy


Eating for good health

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter