Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Anon. asked...

Painful breast lump

I have a lump that is growing in size, quite painful to touch and is situated just off to the side of my breast bone. Can you please advise whose advice I need to seek? Do I need to go to the GP first or is there a more direct route?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

If the lump is painful and growing you do need to see your GP as this will need to be addressed and can have numerous causes from infection to inflammation and treatment will depend on cause. If you have a private health policy this will usually require a GP referral to a specialist once diagnosis has been determined.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter