Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Irene asked...

Tags: Depression

My father suffers from depression and has been good for some time. We lost our Mum 3 years ago, and so far he has been doing well and has met a new partner. In the past 3 weeks he has gone sharply down hill. He is getting no or one or two hrs sleep with sleeping tablets prescribed by the doctor. We visited the doctor yesterday and they prescribed anti-depressants too. I am particularly concerned right now though. We asked about 'talking' treatment and they confirmed he can be referred but there is a 3 month waiting list. Can we seek some care/treatment even if we need to pay for it?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP ASAP?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, is available on a pay-as-you-go basis with prices starting at just £60 per consultation*.

    Quote AXA20 to receive a 20% discount. (* Prices subject to change.)

The Answer

We hope you will see some improvement over time with the anti depressants his GP has prescribed but would like to suggest that you contact MIND, a mental health charity, for further information about seeking help outside the NHS. They have a support line on 0300 1233393 as well as a text message service on 86463 that will help you source local support. They also have an emergency helpline, should you need it, on 0300 3035999.

We do hope this helps you to find appropriate help in your area without the 3 months waiting time.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses  

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly better health newsletter to receive updates on our latest health and wellbeing articles.

Sign up to newsletter