Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Callum asked...

Would an MRI scan show up disc damage?

I've been having quite severe lower back pain more and more regularly, i'm going to my GP tomorrow for an appointment and I was hoping you could advise me if it is worth asking to be referred for an MRI scan through my private medical insurance? Would this show up any disc damage if there was any?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Sorry to hear that you are having back problems. You can indeed ask your GP for an MRI however this can only be done through the NHS. I would suggest your GP refers you to see a specialist who could then order and interpret the MRI scan. You are correct an MRI scan would definitely show vertebral disc damage. You may also benefit from a physiotherapist referral so they can assess the extent of the injury and give you self-help tips and exercises.

Thank you for your question and I hope these issues resolve soon.

Answered by Health at Hand nurses.


You may also be interested in...

'I have chronic lower back pain'

Exercises for a healthy back

Don't let driving be a pain in the back

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter