Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Judy asked...

Pain in the ball of my foot.

I have been experiencing pain in my right foot, in the region of the ball of the foot between the 3rd and 4th toes. I can hear and feel the bones "clicking or rubbing" together when I walk, or even when I wiggle my toes. It is most painful when I raise myself up partially on my toes but not when I am on full tip-toe.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing. You may be experiencing some problems with the cartilage in your foot or have some mild inflammatory process affecting your foot in this area. Sometimes this can be due to wear and tear if it is not associated with any recent trauma. The only way to be certain would be to ask your GP to examine your foot for you and they may possibly order an X-ray and/or take some bloods to assist in the diagnosis.

In the meantime it may be sensible to rest your foot as often as possible with it gently elevated. Some mild anti- inflammatory medication may help alleviate the worst of the discomfort as well; this can be brought over the counter at your local pharmacy and your GP can advise you on this in addition.

Answered by Health at Hand nurses.


You may also be interested in...

Taking care of your feet

Is your body paying the price for wearing high heels?


Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter