Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Janet asked...

I have pains in my shin.

I have had pains in my right leg, principally the shin, for some time and this is now manifesting itself in my left leg too. I have had both hips replaced, the first some 10 years ago, the second two years ago.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Pain in the shin or tibia is often called ‘shin splints’. In your case it could be caused by a few things. Poor muscle strength, stability or balance could be contributing.

I think it would be very sensible to be seen by your doctor to find the cause of the pain. Examination can exclude a serious problem such as reduced blood flow. A physiotherapist may also help by assessing your posture and observing you walking. There may be something simple that could help reduce the pain, depending on what is found, such as a shoe insert or exercises to strengthen the leg muscles.

Answered by Dr Emmajane Down.


You may also be interested in...

Shin splints

Boost your bone power!

Top tips to take care of your feet

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter