Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Donna asked...

Morton's neuroma diagnosis

My doctor has diagnosed Morton's neuroma. It seems to be getting more uncomfortable. Do I need to go back for a referral?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Morton’s Neuroma is a condition which affects the nerves in the foot, causing the nerves to become inflamed and thickened. It is most common in the nerve between the 3rd and 4th toes.

This condition is particularly common in women and is often triggered by the wearing of tight or heeled shoes. The symptoms of Morton’s Neuroma can include tingling and numbness of the toes and sharp shooting and burning pain to the ball of the foot. This pain is worse when walking and weight bearing. It is advisable to see a Podiatrist or GP to be assessed and for treatment.

The condition is usually managed initially by changing your footwear and using orthotics, analgesia or steroid injections and encouraging weight loss. If the symptoms are worsening or becoming more severe, as in your case it may be necessary for surgical treatment.

Surgery would involve increasing the space around the nerve or removing part of the affected nerve in order to minimise discomfort in the future. This surgery can be done under general and local anaesthesia often as a day case. However it would take some weeks for full recovery to be apparent.

If you have found that trying to correct the discomfort through changing your footwear and analgesia is not helping we would encourage you to return to your GP / specialist to see if injections or surgery are required as they should be able to refer you for treatment as necessary, particularly if your mobility is being compromised. If further treatment is advised and you have a private health insurance policy, you can contact your policy team to discuss if cover for treatment would be provided.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses  

You may also be interested in...

Mortons neuroma

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter