Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Stewart asked...

Joint pain for years

Hi - my 14 year old daughter has been suffering from "joint pain" for the past two years. She's been to an orthopaedic consultant who did loads of blood tests and 2 MRIs (hips and knees) but nothing wrong and then she was referred to the rheumatology department at Birminghham Children's Hospital who said she had tender tendons and there was nothing to do about it other than manage the pain (paracetamol, ibuprofen and codeine when required) and it would sort itself out over time. She spent last night in hospital because she's taken too much ibuprofen without food over the last 4 weeks or so and although that's been sorted out, the underlying problem is still there. The killer question is what sort of specialist should we go and see...And is it likely to be covered by our medical insurance (although I don't really care - I just want to know who can help even if I have to pay for it myself.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

We can completely appreciate the frustration you may be feeling with regards to your daughter’s condition, and the long term management program which currently may not seem to be helping with her symptoms. Regarding the points you have raised, please see the following responses.

Following a discussion with our in-house Pharmacist, the Ibuprofen would be the most effective Anti-Inflammatory for your daughter’s pain & discomfort. In conjunction with regular Paracetamol, these two medications can deliver effective pain relief. May we suggest you liaise with your local Pharmacist to discuss a medication time-table? This may give more effective pain relief at regular intervals during the day.

With regards to the Tender Tendon issue, you have not mentioned if your daughter has had any intervention with a Physiotherapy Team. It could possible, following Assessment by the Physiotherapist to discuss further options; they may be able to assist your Daughter with a programme to strengthen the Tendons & surrounding muscle therefore creating more support for the Tendons.

If you wish to proceed with this option, you would need to discuss with your GP for a Physiotherapist Referral. May we also make the suggestion of discussing further Specialist or Second Opinion options with your G.P. They would be in a more informed position to make suggestions with regard to this issue, as they would have access to your Daughter’s Medical Notes & history.

We do hope that this information has been of some assistance to you with regards to alternative options that may be of help, and wish you and your Daughter the best for the future.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses  

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter