Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Sara asked...

I have severe pain in my lower back

I have private healthcare with you through the company that I work for. I have severe pain in my lower back and bottom and all down my left leg with numbness. Can I arrange to see someone privately tomorrow or do I have to wait for my gp to open on Monday? I have taken Ibuprofen however the pain seems to be getting worse when I walk my leg feels weak.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

I am sorry to read that you are experiencing these symptoms and I would agree that you need to be seen as soon as possible in order to achieve a diagnosis and start on the correct treatment and pain relief. . In order to see a private consultant using your private medical insurance you would need to be referred by either your GP or an Accident and Emergency doctor, so if you are unable to see your GP on Monday you may want to consider attending the A&E department of your nearest hospital.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses  

You may also be interested in...

Back pain

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter