Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Dion asked...

I have small lumps around my nipples.

I have some small lumps on my scrotum and around my nipples, the lumps are solid to touch and the size of a pin head.

When irritated I have removed what looks like a white shaped like a grain of rice. They appear to come from hair follicles? Can these be cut out?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

The best thing for you to do in this situation is to go and see your General Practitioner. We are unable to diagnose the condition that you appear to have. However, common reasons for the ‘spots’ that you may be describing are: sebaceous glands that are blocked (including Fordyce spots) or molluscum contagiosum.

Molluscum contagiosum is caused by a virus. If you squeeze a molluscum, a cheesy white substance will appear (you are not advised to squeeze the molluscum contagiosum spots). Molluscum contagiosum can appear in any age group, typically children. There are a range of treatments available if the spots are problematic. Typically the spots do not require medical treatment and they will disappear in time. Sometimes in adults, molluscum contagiosum is due to sexual activity.

As indicated we suggest a visit to your General Practitioner for a diagnosis and reassurance.

Answered by Health at Hand nurses.


You may also be interested in...

Molluscum contagiosum

'I have a small red spot on my penis'

Sexually transmitted infections (STIs)

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter