Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Anna asked...

Tags: food

I have a pain under my ribs (left side), seems like a pancreatic problem. Maybe was caused by eating chinese mushrooms? Is there any over the counter medication that could help?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP ASAP?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, is available on a pay-as-you-go basis with prices starting at just £60 per consultation*.

    Quote AXA20 to receive a 20% discount. (* Prices subject to change.)

The Answer

I am sorry to hear of your experience with lower abdominal discomfort.

The most suitable over the counter medicine to help you alleviate these symptoms would be 500mg paracetamol taken every four to six hours, taking care not to exceed eight tablets per day. Do check with your local chemist before taking over the counter medicines to take into account any current medication you may be taking at the same time.

That paired with plenty of fluids, preferably water should help you manage your symptoms. It may take several days for symptoms to improve.

Lastly, it would be prudent to speak to your GP in order to diagnose the cause of your symptoms.

Answered by Health at Hand nurses.


You may also be interested in...

Is food making you ill?

Unusual foods that pack a health punch

Abdominal pain

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly better health newsletter to receive updates on our latest health and wellbeing articles.

Sign up to newsletter