Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Sharon asked...

Tags: diet , digestion

I have suffered with an itchy bottom now for about a year and yesterday noticed a pea size lump just inside my anus, it is hard and round what do you think this could be?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP ASAP?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, is available on a pay-as-you-go basis with prices starting at just £60 per consultation*.

    Quote AXA20 to receive a 20% discount. (* Prices subject to change.)

The Answer

If the lump is painful and itchy it would most likely be a pile (or a perianal haematoma). They are common and usually itchy. They are caused when the bowels open and the anus is stretched too much. Sometimes a small vein inside the anus can leak or become swollen.

Piles usually get better without any treatment and are not serious. Make sure your motions are soft and you avoid constipation by eating a healthy diet (rich in vegetables and fruit). This prevents further stretching of the anus and will help the pile heal. Keep the area very clean and use a pile/haemorrhoid cream to soothe the itching. It really should be examined by a doctor in person to confirm the diagnosis. (This is important because sometimes a lump inside the anus could be a cancer.)
Answered by Dr Emmajane Down.


You may also be interested in...



Diet tips for a healthy bowel and digestive system

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly better health newsletter to receive updates on our latest health and wellbeing articles.

Sign up to newsletter