Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Lewis asked...

Tags: diabetes , travel

I have type 1 diabetes and looking for a solution to cover me and support me to get my medication, as I am leaving the UK to spend 9-12 months in the USA/CA. Please can you give me some help?

  • doctor-at-hand-promo-box-image



    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service is available on a pay-as-you-go basis with prices starting at just £60 per consultation.

    Quote AXA20 to receive a 20% discount.

The Answer

Your GP will be able to provide you with 3 months’ worth of medication in advance of your trip. You could ask your GP for a private prescription to cover the rest of the time (you would need to pay for it). Some of your insulin may not be able to keep for that long, so it would be sensible to register with a doctor in the USA. It would be a private doctor and you would need to pay.

Your GP will be able to give you a written letter stating your detailed medical history, recent blood results and full list of all your medications. You can show this to any new doctors you see. I would seriously think about having health insurance to cover you while you are away, just in case you fall ill. Medical treatment can be very expensive if you don’t.

Don’t forget to wear a medical alert bracelet or necklace, so that people know you are insulin dependent in an emergency.

Answered by Dr EmmaJane Down.


You may also be interested in...

Dealing with diabetes

Advice and tips to keep safe and stay healthy abroad


Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly better health newsletter to receive updates on our latest health and wellbeing articles.

Sign up to newsletter