Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Anne asked...

I have a bad heat rash

Tags: Skin

I have a bad heat rash, it has been 2 weeks while on holiday and then 10 days since I have returned and it is not getting better or going away.

It it very painful, feels like someone is constantly cutting me. I have been using calamine lotion and baby powder.

What can I do to a) relieve the pain and b) heal the rash?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Sorry to hear that you suffer from heat rash. This type of skin rash, also called prickly heat rash, occurs when the ducts of the sweat glands become blocked and swell. The sweat produced cannot get to the surface of the skin to evaporate, causing inflammation that results in a rash.

Heat rash usually fades away when the skin is allowed to cool. However, treatment is required if the areas become infected. The signs of infection include pain, increased swelling and redness which does not resolve. In your case I would suggest that you book an appointment with your GP. He can examine the rash and then he will be able to prescribe an effective treatment for it as appropriate.

Answered by Health at Hand nurses.


You may also be interested in...

Heat rash

Heat exhaustion and heatstroke

Itches, coughs, sneezes, rashes and sores

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter