Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Richard asked...

Constant ache in my elbow

I have a painful elbow - to the side on the bone. It has a pretty constant ache but worse after exercise or heavy lifting. If I lean on it it's painful. It's now been like this for a few months.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP ASAP?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

We thank you for your question about pain at the elbow.

There are plenty of conditions that can affect the elbow joint and we are therefore unable to  provide a diagnosis for your symptoms.   We would suggest that you contact your General Practitioner for an accurate diagnosis as your condition has been bothering you for a few months. 

Two conditions that can affect the elbow are golfer’s elbow or tennis elbow.  If there is pain on the outside of the elbow at the bony lump to be found there (the epicondyle) then this may be lateral epicondylitis.  Lateral epicondylitis is often called tennis elbow.  If the pain is on the inside of the elbow at the bony lump then this is golfer’s elbow or medical epicondylitis.  Please review the following factsheets to see if your symptoms match those of either lateral or medial epicondylitis.  

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses  

You may also be interested in...


Arm or elbow pain

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter