Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Robin asked...

I think I have a hydrocele

I think I have a hydrocele. Is there an operation I can have to reduce its size. Thank you.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Thank you for contacting us. If a hydrocele is present they often spontaneously resolve within six months. Surgery is usually only indicated if they persist for longer than a year or cause disfigurement. Occasionally needle aspiration can be performed instead of surgery but this will depend on the type and severity of the hydrocele. In this instance I feel the best starting point would be for you to visit your GP to confirm the diagnosis; they can perform a test called trans illumination where they shine a light through the scrotum which will show if there is any fluid present in the sac. You would then be able to discuss the duration of the problem and options for treatment if it is indicated. Do bear in mind also that while you are very likely to be correct in your diagnosis, any swelling, lumps or changes to the testes should be reported to your GP in order for a full assessment and diagnosis to be made and any treatment needed to be started. 

I hope this information will be of use to you and wish you the best of luck in resolving this soon.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses

You may also be interested in...

lump or swelling

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter