Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Tom asked...

We believe our 10 month old son may have a tongue tie...

We believe our 10 month old son may have a tongue tie. Who should we see to check this out and diagnose/advise?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Thank you for your question.

Tongue ties are usually detected in younger babies, as they may have difficulty feeding, but some milder cases may be undetected if the child has been feeding adequately. These issues may become more evident as the child gets older and may show signs of difficulty with their speech or constant dribbling.

If you suspect that your child may have a tongue tie, it would be suggested that you make an appointment with your GP. Following an examination they may refer you to a Paediatric Specialist for further discussion on the severity of the condition and the options which may be available to you to rectify the problem. If intervention is required, the recovery /healing time is usually rapid and without complications, as the tongue area heals very quickly.

We have included the following link which you may find useful for further reading a possible treatment options that may be available to you.


We hope you have found this useful.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses