Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Anon. asked...

Do I have swollen glands?

Hello, Apologies in advance for the topic of this question, as I realise it is not in the best taste. I recently had sexual intercourse a few times in a 12 hour period, and the last time - I had some blood in my ejaculate. This was concerning to me as I had never seen this before. I looked it up online and NHS said it is most likely due to some swollen glands that produce sperm or something like that. However, it could also be a sexually transmitted disease or testicular cancer. I am concerned about the latter and would like to see a nurse / doctor about this to get a checkup. 1) Do you have any further input on this issue? 2) How do I go about setting up an appointment with a doctor to get a test for STD's and Testicular Cancer? Thank you in advance for your help.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Any time you notice blood in your ejaculate it is recommended that you see your doctor to have this assessed. It can be due to a simple cyst, injury, inflammation, infection or potentially something more serious, so this is why I would recommend you see your GP for examination and referral to a urologist if needed. There are numerous sexual health clinics in the UK where you can be checked for an STD or you can see your GP for testing.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter