Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Helen asked...

Tags: Anxiety

I've been diagnosed with anxiety for the past year or so. I've been prescribed several tablets and my doctor has now settled on Citralopram 10mg which I've been on for just over four months. I had to take a break as we found out I was expecting. I've officially been back on them just over two weeks. Every so often, at least once a month a suffer a mild anxiety attack which can take up to two weeks to recover from. Apart from the initial attack, the next week or so I'm plagued with a pain at the very bottom of my ribs, right between them, which is sore to touch. Also, my bottom ribs ache as though I'm 'hanging onto a table edge' by my ribs. I feel lethargic, with no appetite and cannot sleep due to this uncomfortable 'pain'. I am sometimes bedridden for days and when I do get up I either need to double over or I feel the need to push my tummy out to try and relieve the discomfort. My mum has mentioned IBS but I've explained all of these symptoms to my GP who has made no mention of it. Should I push for tests or does this sound like a 'normal' case of anxiety issues?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP ASAP?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, is available on a pay-as-you-go basis with prices starting at just £60 per consultation*.

    Quote AXA20 to receive a 20% discount. (* Prices subject to change.)

The Answer

The type of problems and pain you are experiencing in your ribs could well be related to tension in your skeleton which can produce this type of pain and discomfort in the rib cage. This is usually through a combination of both anxiety and tension in the body. However, it would be sensible in the first instance to revisit your GP regarding these symptoms and explain how they are affecting you for periods of time.

There are some inflammatory conditions which can occur in the body and you may like to ask your GP if this is a possibility with you. Additionally, you might find a visit to an aromatherapist or osteopath in addition may be very helpful as they should be able to quickly assess whether skeletal tension is present and implement treatment for you.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses  

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter