Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Anon. asked...

Angry and stressed

Tags: Stress

I am getting angry and stressed when being around her indoors. I have never been like this and it's killing me.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

From what you describe it sounds like you are going through a really rough time at present, and we would say that you are suffering from stress, anxiety and maybe some form of depression.

Stress can occur due to worries in relation to many factors but, most commonly due to pressures of work, difficulties at home, daily living, finances and relationships.

Stress can alter the way you behave, think, feel and also how your body functions.

Stress can present through anxieties, low self- esteem, sleeping problems, changes in your eating and drinking habits, anger and, physically such as through muscle tension and headaches.

Stress is a normal occurrence (flight v fight) but it is when the hormone levels build up over a period of time that stress can become an issue and start impacting on life and can lead to physical and mental ill health if left untreated.

Spotting the early signs of stress becoming unmanageable is when you feel unable to cope, angry and irritable.

It is important to take actions to reduce your levels of stress as this can then prevent it having a serious impact on your health.

Learning, how to relax and manage time and work load can help, as can exercise and practice of mindfulness and talking to people.

Depression can occur as a reaction to stress and symptoms of this can include mood swings, irritability, anger, lethargy and anxieties.

Depression like stress can be treated by means of medication, counselling, CBT and learning stress relieving techniques.

We would encourage you to seek help from your GP who can assess your well being physically, emotionally and mentally and who can then commence treatment and refer you on to specialists as necessary.

In relation to your relationship with your partner we would suggest if possible that you try to spend some time discussing your anxieties and how you are feeling. If you feel that your relationship is under pressure it may be a good idea to seek professional help together such as through Relate.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses  

You may also be interested in...

NHS - stress and anxiety




It's good to talk

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter