Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Roy asked...

I have a red itchy rash on my arms.

Tags: Allergy , Skin

I have a red itchy rash on both forearms, I have tried all different anti itch creams to no avail can you recommend anything?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

There are a variety of topical agents which can be purchased from your local chemist.

The product which is most suited to you will very much depend on the cause of the rash.

Creams such as Eurax are known to target itching alone for up to an 8 hour period.

Alternatively topical steroids such as Hydrocortisone cream can be used for up to 7 days, these may cater to reduce inflammation causing the redness, however not recommended if there is any broken / weeping skin lesions present.

Lastly, if the cause of your rash is of allergic origin, the Pharmacist may recommend a topical antihistamine cream.

Your pharmacist will ask you a few questions to determine the nature and cause of your rash and will recommend a medicinal product that may be suitable, or they may suggest you speak to your GP for further assessment.

I hope this is of some guidance to you.

Answered by Health at Hand nurses.


You may also be interested in...

'My husband has developed a skin rash'

Know your allergy triggers


Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter