Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Charmain asked...

My husband has developed a skin rash.

Tags: Allergy , Skin

My husband (50) developed a skin rash about 2 weeks ago. It's mainly on his legs, arms and top part of his chest and is very itchy.

He is also complaining about mild muscle ache. His face became very swollen about three days ago, particularly around his eyes where it is very puffy and red. His earlobes are also swollen and peeling.

He doesn't have fever, his tongue appears normal and he can bend his head forward. His on chronic medicine for asthma. We've been using Calamine lotion for the itching. What can this be? Should he see a doctor?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

There are a number of medical conditions these symptoms could be related to, ranging from something as simple as stress, to a more complex autoimmune disorder or possibly an allergy.

Seeing your doctor is the first step to getting an answer and they may want to carry out some blood tests to rule out any underlying conditions or make a referral to a specialist for further investigation.

Answered by Health at Hand nurses.


You may also be interested in...


Know your allergy triggers

Is stress contagious?

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter