Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

I have been diagnosed with PCOS and have decided i would like to start a family. My doctors have told me they will not help me until i have tried for 12 months, the problem is that i do not have a period so i am not ovulating and therefore am not getting anywhere. I was wondering if you could help me any sooner then my doctors can as i have researched a lot of medications/treatments that have been successful for others with the same condition that can only be prescribed by doctors.

1 August 2016

Hello, thanks for contacting us. We are sorry to hear about the problems you are experiencing.

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) can present with a variety of symptoms such as irregular or absent periods, weight gain, difficulties getting pregnant, excessive hair growth and oily skin.

Not all women will experience every symptom, most commonly we find that inability to get pregnant and irregular or absent periods may be the only symptoms that are experienced.

The reasons why some women develop this condition is not yet fully understood but it is thought to be related to hormonal imbalance in the body.

Treatment of PCOS and management of the condition can improve your fertility and prospects of getting pregnant and equally reduce the chances of going on to develop any further issues in later life.

There is some evidence that suggests a higher incidence of Diabetes Type 2 , raised blood pressure and cholesterol levels for example in people who have been suffering from PCOS and management of this condition can help to prevent these type of problems from developing.

The first step for anyone suffering from PCOS would be careful evaluation of their current hormone levels which is done by performing a blood test, and a gynaecological assessment, often this will include an ultrasound of the pelvis, this is a painless procedure and helps to identify if there are cysts on the ovaries and also looks at the general condition of the uterus and fallopian tubes. Medical management is then based around these findings.

While we can see you are aware of your condition it does not appear you are currently under the care of a Gynaecologist, under the circumstances it would seem sensible to request a referral to a Gynaecologist (preferably who specialises in PCOS.)

You may also like to read more information about this here. Here you will find further information about the types of treatments and clinical trials that have been held.

In addition you may also find this resource helpful. This has more information on the condition and current research plus access to many sources of support and advice. Above all, don't give up, there are a great many women who suffer from this condition and many have gone on to successfully conceive. We wish you every success with this and if we can be of any further help please don’t hesitate to contact us again

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses

Got a health question?

We’re here to help you take care of your health - whenever you need us, wherever you are, whether you're an AXA PPP healthcare member or not.

Our Ask the Expert service allows you to ask our team of friendly and experienced nurses, midwives, counsellors and pharmacists about any health topic.