The doctor thinks I may have endometriosis

After suffering severe pain in my early teenage years before and during my period I was put on the Depo injection which rid me of my pain for 7 years. However I am now 26 and in near future looking to start a family and I was advised it may take a while due to the length of time I have been on the Depo injection, so I decided to change to the pill. Within 2 weeks the agony was back so I went to the doctors. My doctor stated he thinks I have endometriosis and he can only give me painkillers to assist (even morphine if required) I cannot take strong painkillers due to my job and I also cannot have 2 weeks off work every month. The pain is so bad I just end up crawling up in a ball crying even with the painkillers. I have noticed there is a surgical procedure that I can have which can investigate how bad it is and maybe remove some cells. Do I have the right to push my GP to refer me to a specialist?

8 May 2013

It does sound like you might have endometriosis based on the severe pain that you get with every period. The mini-pill has the same hormones in it as the depot, so should help with the pain once you have been on it for a while. It is much easier to stop the mini-pill quickly when you want to get pregnant, unlike the depot.

I think it is very reasonable to see a specialist about your symptoms, especially as they are so severe when you are not on the pill. You can then be advised about what to do when you need to come off the pill completely and prepare for pregnancy. There are also operations available to help endometriosis if it is found to be the problem. Go and talk to the GP about it again and ask for a private referral because you should be covered (you need to check yourself exactly what your personal insurance covers).


Got a health question?

We’re here to help you take care of your health - whenever you need us, wherever you are, whether you're an AXA PPP healthcare member or not.

Our Ask the Expert service allows you to ask our team of friendly and experienced nurses, midwives, counsellors and pharmacists about any health topic.