I'd like counselling, but what type of therapist do I need?

I would like some counselling, but don't know what type of therapist I need. My relationship with two of my three sons is awful, no one speaks to me and the middle son just about speaks to me. I need to work out and understand how and why this happened and how I can work towards reconciliation. Do I need CBT, a psychologist or a psychoanalyst?

18 December 2016

Thank you for your question.

May we suggest that you first speak to your GP as he may be able to help and support you through this difficult time? Whether you go privately or NHS you will need your GP to refer you. If you choose to go NHS you will need to check the availability in your area and how long you may have to wait.

There are many different types of psychotherapy and it will depend on your personal needs which method would be the most helpful. The psychotherapist will make this decision on the information that you give them.

One of the objectives of psychotherapy is to help you gain a better understanding of the problems that are troubling you. It can help you look at new ways of approaching difficult situations, as well as suggesting new methods to help you cope.

Psychoanalytic therapy encourages you to say what ever is on your mind. It helps you become aware of any hidden meanings or patterns in what you say or think that may be contributing to your problems.

Cognitive Behavioural therapy (CBT) looks at how your thoughts and belief are linked to your behaviour and feelings. By rethinking your behavior and thought pattern can help you change how you think about yourself and other people.

You may benefit at some stage from family therapy. A therapist works with the whole family exploring their views and relationships to understand the problems the family is having. It helps family members communicate better with each other and to develop a better understanding of each others views and needs.

We hope that this answers your questions. We have enclosed some websites that you may find helpful.

We wish you all the best.


Answered by the Health at Hand nurses  

Got a health question?

We’re here to help you take care of your health - whenever you need us, wherever you are, whether you're an AXA PPP healthcare member or not.

Our Ask the Expert service allows you to ask our team of friendly and experienced nurses, midwives, counsellors and pharmacists about any health topic.