Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Andrew asked...

Who can treat lyme disease?

My wife has had a positive blood test result for lyme disease but can't find anyone in the UK to treat her. Who in the UK can treat lyme disease?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

At present Lyme disease is primarily diagnosed and treated by GP’s. This is not a specialist field in the U.K. as yet. If a consultant is needed this will be a General Medicine specialist who may consult with the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, they have no clinics. In chronic cases where the skin or joints are affected then referral to dermatology or rheumatology may be needed. If your wife was treated with antibiotics in the early stages of Lyme disease then there is a good chance of complete recovery with no further problems. Hopefully this will help you.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses  

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter