Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Anon asked...

My 19 year old son is currently on a gap year and has developed an acute anxiety...

My 19 year old son is currently on a gap year and has developed an acute anxiety regarding computers iPads mobile phones etc. he is worried about who might be listening to him.. He is due to go to university in September and we think he would benefit from external counselling or other support

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP ASAP?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, is available on a pay-as-you-go basis with prices starting at just £60 per consultation*.

    Quote AXA20 to receive a 20% discount. (* Prices subject to change.)

The answer

Thank you for contacting us with your question. We live in a society where technology has taken to the foreground of our lives. We are constantly connected and, your son is correct, tracked by the devices we use. What is important to understand is that, although it is possible to listen in on our devices and keep track of their positions, these are well regulated areas.

The best way to access counselling services would be to speak with your son’s General Practitioner to arrange for Cognitive Behavioral Therapies. If you still have concerns check the Young Minds Charity. They provide support to parents when their children are struggling with anxiety and other problems.

Anxiety - NHS

Young Minds

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses