Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Anon. asked...

Surgery on the bone

Dear Sir, I had surgery on the bone in my lower leg at the age of 12. This was 15 years ago. During the winter season I have increased pain at the site of the old surgery. What should I do as I do not want to have further surgery?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Dear Sir/Madam,

There is a lot of anecdotal information regarding pain at old bone fracture or injury site during bad weather, usually associated with cold or wet weather. The medical understanding of this is that it is due to a drop in the barometric pressure when the weather changes, this allows the tissue to expand, which In turn puts pressure on the old site of tissue injury. This can cause a tingling sensation or a flare up around the broken or injured bone area. You will need to see your doctor to assess the old surgery site to rule out if there is any changes there. If all normal, there may be no need for surgery. If this is confirmed by your doctor you may need to consider taking regular pain medication during cold weather periods. Hopefully this will help you.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses  

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter