Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Brendan asked...

I have very sore skin...

Tags: Skin

I have very sore skin on one side of my face and head with no rash or redness but very sore to touch. It's seems silly to go to the doctor when there is nothing to see but it's not going away and I have had it for over a week

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

We would suggest you do see your GP as soon as possible to assess you as painful skin can indicate inflammation of the nerve pathway’s that control nerve impulses to the affected side of your face. This can be shingles if you have had chicken pox in the past, it may also be trigeminal neuralgia, postherpetic neuralgia or Bell’s Palsy. All require different treatments and medications so diagnosis is key to manage this pain and treating the underlying cause. Hopefully this will help you,


Answered by the Health at Hand nurses