Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Mark asked...

I have a sharp stabbing pain in my temple.

I have been getting a sharp stabbing pain in the right side of my head just above the temple it only last about 30 seconds then goes away. Any ideas?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

I wonder if you may be suffering from one of the rarer forms of headaches such as cluster headache, trigeminal neuralgia or SUNCT (short lasting unilateral neuralgiform headache attacks with conjunctival injection). These type of headaches can sometimes be associated with other symptoms such as a watery or red eye on the side of the pain and they are unusual. If you have not seen your doctor already then you should make an appointment. You need to have some simple tests such as blood pressure and routine bloods along with a neurological examination. A referral to a neurologist is warranted if your GP is still unsure of the diagnosis.

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter