Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Sydney asked...

My name is Sydney and I am 18 years old and I suffer from serve anxiety issues...

Hi there, My name is Sydney and I am 18 years old and I suffer from serve anxiety issues sometimes I faint, be sick and can not leave the house for days was seeing what would be the best treatment for me.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Firstly, may we say how sorry we are that you have been suffering in this way and congratulate you for taking this step to seek help. Anxiety is common in young adults and affects around 5-19% of children and adolescents in the UK.

Some of the common types of anxiety in young adults are fears or phobias about something specific, feeling anxious for no apparent reason and social, school or work based anxiety. Anxiety disorders such as post-traumatic stress disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder are less common. Any anxiety can be caused by a wide variety of reasons and will be individual to each person, which is why it is best to seek help that will be tailored to you and your needs.

Symptoms can be both psychological and physiological. For example a pounding heart, faster breathing, felling sick, feeling faint, palpitations, sweating, headaches and chest pains are symptoms that can be felt physical in the body. Where as psychological symptoms will be things like irritability, feelings of worry or unease.

While some of the symptoms you have described are quite similar to those above, they are also quite severe and worthy of a discussion with your GP. They will be able to talk to you in greater detail about how you have been experiencing this anxiety and some of the physiological things that can and have occurred. Below are just some of the treatments commonly recommended for anxiety:

Counselling: During a counselling session you can talk in confidence about anything that you feel is worrying you or contributing to your feelings of anxiety with someone who is trained in dealing with these types of issues.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): Here you would be taught coping strategies for when you were feeling most anxious.

Mindfulness: Where you learn to become more aware of the present moment and help control emotions.

Breathing techniques: Which help to relax your mind and body.

Medication: In some cases antidepressants can be appropriate and help people suffering from anxiety to remain calmer and feel more in control. However any medication should be prescribed by your doctor.

We have listed some resources below that you may find useful in terms of further support and information. We would also like to invite you to call the Health at Hand Team on 0800 003 004 as we can put you in touch with one of our trained counsellors who would be happy to talk to you directly about what you have been experiencing.

Young Minds

Anxiety UK

Health at Hand Nurses and Counsellors: 0800 003 004

We do hope you have found this information helpful and that you receive some support from your GP and any other avenue that you use.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses