Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Tony asked...

I have suffered from periodic sciatica for some years...

Hello, I am male and 68 years old. I have suffered from periodic sciatica for some years. However, in the last few months I have experienced a strange sensation on the top front of my right leg. Feeling goes down to my right knee only. It feels as though the top layer of my skin is dead and lifeless and numb. It is really difficult to describe but it is almost a continuous feeling. It is not painful but very very strange. Any advice? Many thanks

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

We are sorry that you have been suffering with Sciatica for some time.

As you will be aware, Sciatica is caused by pressure or irritation of the sciatic nerve, which runs from the back of your pelvis, passing through your buttocks and down the back of both legs to your feet. The most common symptoms are pain, numbness, tingling sensations through one leg to your toes and a weaknesses in calf muscles. This is typically felt through the back of the leg and not down the front as you have been experiencing.

It is always advisable to speak with your GP when there are changes in your symptoms and which remain persistent. The location of these new symptoms are also not consistent with sciatica, which is another reason we would encourage you to seek your GP’s advice.

We do hope you have found this useful and that your GP will be able to provide you with further support.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses