Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Dermot asked...

My right eye has suddenly gone red in the corner and it looks like a burst blood vessel...

My right eye has suddenly gone red in the corner and it looks like a burst blood vessel. Should I consult my doctor? I am recovering from a bad bug the last three weeks and although I am a lot better I still need to blow my nose a lot and I wonder did this cause the problem with my eye?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP ASAP?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, is available on a pay-as-you-go basis with prices starting at just £60 per consultation*.

    Quote AXA20 to receive a 20% discount. (* Prices subject to change.)

The answer

A red eye can be alarming, but is usually a result of a minor eye condition, such as conjunctivitis or a burst blood vessel. Straining, coughing or injuring your eye can sometimes cause a blood vessel to burst on the eye surface, causing a bright red blotch. This condition doesn’t tend to affect your vision and normally gets better within a week. See your GP for advice if your red eye doesn’t start to improve after a few days or if the eye feels painful as this may be due to a more serious problem.

It’s important to seek immediate medical attention if you have a painful red eye, other symptoms such as reduced vision, sensitivity to light, headaches and nausea or if you have recently injured your eye.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses