Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Stephen asked...

Pressure from under my rib cage

Tags: Exercise

Have been getting a strange pressure from under my rib cage for around 6 months now... Went to see my GP who suggested I went to get an X ray in case of a cracked rib but got the all clear, as were blood and urine tests. I went on holiday for a week in Spain and the pressure disappeared in the hot weather but it seems to have returned again... It's coming up to the 7 month mark and still don't really have any answers. Do you have any idea what it could be (and what could help)?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Thank you for your question.

With regards to any consistent symptoms, it would always be advised to re-visit your GP for further assessment and investigations.

Although it is not possible to diagnose your problem, we can provide some information regarding some of the possible causes.

It is unclear from your question if you get any relief from stretching exercises. If you are sitting at a desk for extended periods of time, it may be possible that the problem may be caused by or related to a posture issues. If this was the cause of the issue, it may be possible to speak to a Chiropractor or Osteopath.

As the problem seemed to rectify itself whilst you were on holiday, it could be suggested that the cause may be due to stress or anxiety.

It would be advisable to see your GP at your earliest convenience to help assist you with your current symptoms.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses  

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter