Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Anon asked...

painful cyst like lump on head

Tags: skin

I have a small lump on my head I've had a feel of it & it's painful It feels like a cyst

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP ASAP?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Thank you for your question.

From the symptoms you have described you may have an infected cyst on the scalp or a root hair infection which has abscessed and will possibly need antibiotics. If the symptoms recur, it may require further intervention.

We would suggest you see your GP as soon as possible for assessment of this, as once infection treated you may need the cyst removed. This service may be possible to have at your GP practice (they may provide a “Lumps and Bumps” clinic), or you may need a referral to a surgeon to remove this lump. This will usually be removed under local anaesthetic.

We hope this information has been of use to you.

We have provided the following link if you would like to read further on the subject.


Answered by the Health at Hand nurses