Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Ross asked...

On New Year's Day I got sick with a Lower Tract Infection...

Hi, I have a policy through my job but don't know the reference number. I work for Emperor. On New Year's Day I got sick with a Lower Tract Infection, although prior to this felt something building up in my chest and have felt fatigued. It has now been 2 months since the illness begun and I still feel ill. I still have pain in the front and back of my chest. And feel extremely fatigued. I can't walk far or do any exercise any more (before the illness I exercised 3–5 times a week) as the symptoms return (hot and cold sweats and disorientation). I have had a blood test through my GP which was fine, blood pressure is fine and an x-ray showed that the infection should be completely gone by now because of the 2 courses of antibiotics. Although my chest burns when I breathe still and I have sharp pains inside.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

First of all thank you for contacting us, we're sorry to hear that you have now been struggling with this for the past 2 months.

Your fatigue can be attributed to the lack of oxygenation, due to the strain on your lungs, caused by the Lower Tract Respiratory Infection (LTRI). Despite the infection being taken care of, the fact you needed 2 courses shows that it was quite a strong one, the damage caused by it might still be healing.

It’s good that your GP has been thorough and did all the scans which showed improvement. Although there is an improvement in the tests and imaging we think it would be wise to visit your GP and ask for further imaging and other tests to try and discern the cause of the pain you still feel.

Over the counter painkillers such as Paracetamol will help with some of the pain and the abrupt changes in temperature that are causing your hot and cold sweats.

Ultimately if your GP refers you to a specialist or for further investigations feel free to contact your policy team. You can find their number on your policy card and if not use the general number 0800 132 203, we're sure our colleagues will be more than happy to help you.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses