Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Debra asked...

I have been experiencing pain in the right side of my head for 3 days...

I have been experiencing pain in the right side of my head for 3 days. This pain is not consistent but continues to return daily. It is most noticeable at night when I am laying down this does not feel like a headache as there is no pain anywhere else in the head. The pain increases when I touch my head behind my top right ear. There is no visual idication of injury in this area although when I run my finger in this area there is a slight lump underneath the skin. Can I arrange for this to be looked into today please as I am concerned. The pain radiates to my ear, the right side of my face and the back of my head on the right only.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Thank you for contacting us, I’m sorry to hear about the pain you have been experiencing. In terms of the pain it’s possible that you are either experiencing a form of Cluster Headache or a Neuralgia. Cluster headaches commonly become worse when lying down and will gather over one specific area such as you have been experiencing on the right side of your head. Neuralgia is due to inflammation or irritation of one of the nerves of the skull and face and again can worsen if the triggering area is touched such as you have found when touching just above your right ear, this lies along the trigeminal nerve pathway for example, this type of pain can also worsen when lying down. Both these conditions and several other causes can be successfully treated once you have a firm diagnosis as to the cause. I can see you have asked to see someone and in order to arrange to see a specialist you will need to obtain a referral from your Gp. Under the circumstances it would seem sensible to arrange an appointment to discuss your symptoms with your Dr and to ask for this referral to be made. Once your Gp has agreed to the referral you will just need to contact your claims team who will then be able to set up the claim and support you in getting an appointment.

We do hope you will find this information of use, best of luck in getting this resolved.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses