Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Nicholas asked...

Pain in back of eye

I have been experiencing pain in back of eye, twitching and flickering

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

Thank you for your question.

From your question, it is unclear how long your symptoms have been experienced for, and if you are having any discharge from the eye, or visual problems, or have any significant past medical eye problems.

Any pain that is experienced in the eye should be checked by your GP or Ophthalmologist as soon as possible, where they will be able to discuss and assess your symptoms. If it is not possible to see your GP, a Walk in Centre or Optician may be able to assist you, but any worsening pain in the eye, which is not reduced by mild pain relief should be assessed quickly, you may need to access your local Emergency Department for an eye examination.

For any worsening eye pain, it would always be suggested that you seek medical assistance as soon as possible.

We hope that this has been some assistance to you.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses