Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Anon asked...

I was diagnosed with this health problem and was prescribed Carbimazole...

Hi team, I was diagnosed with this health problem and was prescribed Carbimazole. Went to see an Endocrinologist and they suggested two different treatments - Radio iodin or operation to remove the thyroid. I would like to ask for 2nd opinion whether there is/are any other better treatment towards this problem? Thanks

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

If your overactive thyroid is not responding to medication effectively, this is when your Endocrinologist would consider other treatment options, such as the use of Radioactive Iodine, this is where radiation is used to damage your thyroid gland and therefore reduce the amount of hormone you produce, this is usually done with one treatment. The other option is surgery, either partial removal of the thyroid gland or total removal of the thyroid. This is usually considered the best option if your thyroid gland is severely swollen, known as goitre, if you have severe eye problems resulting from your overactive thyroid, or other treatments have failed, or your symptoms have returned following the above treatments. If you would like to see another Endocrinologist for a second opinion we would suggest contacting your claims team to discuss this option and cover for this via your policy during office hours. Which are Mon – Fri 08:00 to 20:00 and Saturday 09:00 to 17:00.

Hopefully this will help you.

Answered by the Health at Hand nurses