Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Jon asked...

My son has a swollen ear playing rugby.

My son has a swollen ear playing rugby. When I looked for information on this online I read 'This should be dealt with as an emergency by surgical drainage through a small skin incision' but at A+E they did not suggest this.

Should I seek a second option, and if so, should this be from an ENT specialist?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

The most common cause of swelling of the ear is due to an outer ear infection; however, if this was the result of trauma from playing rugby, swelling will normally subside within 72 hours- using ice packs frequently will aid this process.

The treatment you have read about online relates to certain specific conditions, so if this was not recommended by A&E, and if your son’s symptoms persist, your GP would be able to examine him and refer to an ENT specialist if needed.

Answered by Health at Hand nurses.


You may also be interested in...

Sports injuries

Ear infection

'I have excruciating pain in my ear'

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter