Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Kishwer asked...

My husband complains of stomach pain.

Tags: Diet , Nutrition

My husband complains of stomach pain all the time. He describes the pain as constant and it's like the guts are twisting and churning. It's been on going for a long time (one year) now.
The doctor keeps prescribing him different medicines such as 40mg of Omeprazole, 400mg of Metronidazole, 500mg of Amoxicillin, 150mg of Zantac etc etc. He visits the toilet more than two three times in a day to pass stools and about six to seven times to pass urine.
I am worried about him incase he is developing a serious illness like cancer or an ulcer. Please advise what can we do?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

If your husband is not happy with his doctors assessment of his case, he is perfectly entitled to get a second opinion. He can request to see a different GP or he could pay to see a private doctor (if he does not have private health insurance). I would recommend a consultant gastroenterologist.

A GP should have done an examination and some tests (blood, urine and stool). There is also a stool test called ‘faecal calprotectin’ that is very good at ruling out serious bowel disease (if the results come back negative). This could be very reassuring for your husband. If anything abnormal is found, the GP can refer him to see a specialist for further tests as needed.
Answered by Dr Emmajane Down.


You may also be interested in...

Abdominal pain

Early stomach cancer checks 'vital'

Health MOT's

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter