Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Kirkiewicz asked...

I have pain at the top of my leg.

I have been experiencing pain at the top of my leg for the past couple of months as in weight bearing, do you think I should consult a doctor?

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

There are lots of reasons why the top of your leg may be hurting, but the fact that it comes on when you are weight bearing would suggest that you may have a problem with your back or hip joint. Back problems, such as damaged discs, often cause radiation of pain down into the front or back of the thigh. Hip joint problems usually present as pain in the groin but can also be felt in the thigh and knee. If this problem has been going on as long as 2 months, I would certainly recommend you consult with your doctor to determine the source of the pain. After a more detailed discussion and examination you may need further investigation.

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter