Our team of medical experts are ready to help

Your questions answered

Alan asked...

I have diastasis recti.

I have diastasis recti. Is it possible to cure this - i.e. return to the pre stretched connective tissue state? Some websites offer courses for sale to reverse the situation, but I suspect that it is not possible to return the "stretchyness" to tissue that has been overstretched.

  • mother-thermometer-doctor-at-hand

    Do you need to see a GP quickly?


    Would you like to speak with a doctor by video or phone at a time that suits you?

    Our Doctor@Hand service, delivered by Doctor Care Anywhere, offers a doctor appointment by video or phone at a time that suits you.

The answer

This is a condition which mainly occurs for some women during pregnancy. In men, diastasis recti is often associated with weight loss and gym training.  What happens is that the right and left sides of the abdominal muscles, often referred to as the ‘six pack’, separate from the midline. The midline is the imaginary line that divides the body into right and left halves. What develops from the separation of muscle from the midline is a bulge in abdominal tissues.

The standard management for diastasis recti is to use physical exercises co-ordinated by a physiotherapist, but in some people physical exercises can make the condition worse.  In severe cases of diastasis recti or for cosmetic reasons, this bulge can be surgically removed by a ‘tummy tuck’ which is called abdominoplasty. We suggest that you consult with your General Practitioner, or surgeon and a physiotherapist to obtain the best management of your diastasis recti.

Answered by Health at Hand nurses.


You may also be interested in...

'I have separated abdominal muscles'

Cosmetic surgery

Eating for good health

Newsletter sign up

Sign up to our monthly newsletter, Better Health, to receive our latest health and wellbeing updates.

Sign up to newsletter